Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Use a tripod!

I like the concept of this shot, as originally taken. It is a seagull late into an oceanside sunset, backlit by a tidal stream with nice sunset colors reflected. If I'd have had the tripod with me, the shot itself might have been "enough" and I would never have played with it in Photoshop Elements like I did.

But the fact is, it had serious motion-blur issues. I decided one night to play with some of the special effects in Elements, and using "contours" I came up with this. Which I like. And I might use again some time, hopefully to even better effect. Point being, a sharp photograph isn't REQUIRED to produce an image that's pleasing to your eye. (I don't know if it's pleasing to your eye, but I like it, so good enough for now!)

The tripod dichotomy is a toughy - in lateral thinking exercises, maybe especially tough. You want to move the camera, change the horizon, violate some rules, etc. I like some of my tripod shots a lot, and I think I could demonstrate that if I had taken those shots without the tripod, it wouldn't have been as pleasing. That said, I don't use a tripod 95% of the time, or more. Is that wrong?

4 Comments:

Blogger Wyatt said...

The original shot can be seen at:
http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=38589

12:25 PM  
Blogger Neil said...

Great experiment, I like the treatment. I think printed right it would work really well. One thing you might consider is trying to keep it to pastel-like tones, as then to me it looks like a watercolor painting.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Falc said...

Well I have to admit it has some merit, I can see why you like it. The colours are well selected, pastel shades work well in this case. Not my 'cup of tea' as we say in the UK, but thats my problem ;-)

4:52 PM  
Blogger glad2badad said...

It's interesting. For me it looks too artificial. If I'm going for an artsy look I prefer what you've done on the camera shake style. FWIW, since getting anti-shake equipment I rarely use a tripod anymore...usually for studio type shots or shutter speeds under 1/40.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home