Friday, July 29, 2005

OOF & bokeh

Here's an OOF subject shot that I succeeded at. Not that it's interesting enough to add to a portfolio, but it works for what I was trying to do.

Not too much detail lost on the memorial arch, but just enough to keep your eyes from trying to pick out the details. Is that the point, maybe?

With more practice, I can try to capture a real subject in this way. I need to get a firm handle on the bokeh performance of my camera, that's for sure. Out of 44 shots I took today at lunch, I tried this OOF technique on about 10, and this is by far the best realization of it. I'll check the metadata and estimate some distances to see if I can figure out a successful pattern.

3 Comments:

Blogger Falc said...

Hi Wyatt,

I can see that you have tried to apply the observation we came up with the other day, about not beoing too far oof with the main subject. In this instance I think it might have taken just a little more.

Difficult isn't it?

7:00 PM  
Blogger ursula said...

Good try, the colours are beautiful.

Two things:

(1) IMO, the in-focus leaves at the top right do not work well as a subject (or frame), thus the photo tends to look simply like an out of focus shot.

(2) You mention "bokeh", I don't see it. What do you mean by bokeh?

6:58 PM  
Blogger Wyatt said...

My undertanding (misunderstanding?) of bokeh is the degree of blurring that occurs at different apertures, at distances beyond the focal point.

Maybe I would be better off saying my future investigations into DoF for this particular camera at various apertures are important.

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home